Welcome to the web site of the Sleaford Navigation Trust. Some pages of the site remain to be finished and are still under construction.
The Navigation was originally run by the Company of The Proprietors of The Sleaford Navigation. Because of falling revenues caused by the coming of the railway to Sleaford in 1857 the Company obtained an Act of Parliament to enable them to abandon their responsibilities to maintain the Navigation. In fact trade continued on the lower part of the Navigation until the late 1940’s.
The Trust is working to restore the Sleaford Navigation from the River Witham, at Chapel Hill, through to the market town of Sleaford in Lincolnshire. Currently 8 of the 13 miles are open to full navigation although the whole length of the Navigation can be canoed.
Opening the new Head of Navigation in Sleaford
A boat gathering on the Navigation in South Kyme
News from the Navigation
Open for the Summer
Desilting below Taylors Lock
Doug walks the Sleaford Navigation for Help for Heroes